  • Subject: Participation Guidelines
  • From: "Joe Pluta" <joepluta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 23:23:13 -0500

In light of recent events, I'd like to share my thoughts on where I'd like
to see us take this forum.  Lots of intelligent and experienced people
inhabit this bit of cyberspace, and I want them to continue to contribute
here, to make this a vibrant exchange of new ideas and new technology and
new expertise.  To do that, we'll have to discuss and trade ideas and
opinions.

Of course, many of the areas we'll discuss are highly subjective.  So let's
begin with a simple rule of thumb: when it comes to a difference of opinion,
unless the two sides agree on some sort of quantitative analysis, just let
things go as opinion.  There's nothing wrong with posting point and
counterpoint, but we're all intelligent people here, and it's unlikely that
we'll be able to win over converts.  Post your points, let others read them,
and move on.

Recently, I was one of the main people who didn't follow those guidelines.
I was a primary contributor to just the sort of arguments I'd like to avoid
from now on.  I apologize.  They're tiring for the participants and boring
for most everyone else.  Rather than clutter up the list with endless back
and forth, I'm going to try to set up a special area on Java400.net called
the Debate Center where these sorts of debates can go.  Feel free to drop me
a personal note when you think a discussion is getting out of hand, and if
things get too argumentative here, I'll drop in an admonition to take it to
the Debate Center.  I suspect I'll be one of the main participants in those
discussions <grin>.

I still want this list to remain focused on Java development for the AS/400;
Java newbie questions will be better handled in the JAVA101-L list, and Java
newbies can always be gently pointed in that direction.  But within that
focus, I want this list to be a constant exchange of ideas... from
questions, to suggestions, to answers.  I want us to recognize that no
single answer is the right answer for all situations, and that no question
is a dumb question.  This will hopefully allow the list to remain more
spontaneous and more freewheeling.

On the other hand, I will enforce a single hard and fast rule: NO TROLLS.  A
troll is an individual who participates on a mailing list primarily to be
argumentative or provocative, or to promote their own agenda.  A troll will
join a vegan mailing list and repeatedly tout the splendors of beef.  That
will not be allowed here.  If there is a discussion specifically on RPG vs.
Java, then obviously comparisons of the two make sense.  But general
Java-bashing and IBM slamming and AS/400-whomping aren't allowed here.  If
you've got a real beef <no pun intended!>, then propose something meaningful
that we can do about it, but if you just want to vent, there are better
places to do it.  If you want to convince someone how Windows NT is a more
reliable platform than OS/400 for business development, trudge on elsewhere.
On the other hand, even if you hate Java, you might want to lurk.  Who
knows, you may like it.  After all, as the saying goes, if you hang around a
barber shop long enough, you're bound to get a haircut...

To all, have a wonderful time.  I'll be offline probably from Saturday the
7th to Monday the 16th.  Until then, have fun and enjoy the coming Spring
(those of you in the Northern Hemisphere, anyway - a pleasant Autumn to our
friends down under).

Joe Pluta
Moderator