  • Subject: RE: field initializtion
  • From: "Stone, Brad V (TC)" <bvstone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 12:49:44 -0600

I guess my main question is so I don't have to check for null.  Because..

if ((field !=null) && (!field.equals("text"))

will work fine if field is null.  But...

if ((field == null) || (field.equals("text"))

will fail if field is null with a null pointer exception error.  So, to
check for null or "" (basically a blank value) a little extra work is
involved.

I know it's safer to check for not equals, but sometimes it's nicer to not
do that.  Inevitably there will be a point where I will forget to check for
null and my program will bomb at runtime with a null pointer exception.
That's really what I want to avoid.  But there's no *PSSR in Java.  ;)

Brad