  • Subject: RE: HTML to XML, vice versa
  • From: "Clapham, Paul" <pclapham@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 15:08:25 -0800

Well, first of all I would have made toXML() and toHTML() be methods of the
MyClass class, rather than of the fields inside the class.  After all, a
MyClass rendered as HTML might consist of a table with 2 rows and 3 columns,
each cell containing HTML for a field, let's say.  In other words, the HTML
for a MyClass is not just the sum of the HTMLs for its fields.

Having just gone through this, however, let me fast-forward and say that
this isn't the correct answer either.  It's the first one I came up with but
it's too simple.  You may want to render a MyClass as 2 rows of 3 columns in
some contexts, but in other contexts you might want an abbreviated rendering
that's a single line summarizing the MyClass.

This is where the decorators come in, if I'm not mistaken.  You don't want
the MyClass object to render itself in HTML or XML or any other ML.  It's
some other class that's going to be given a MyClass object and told, "Render
this appropriately".  And it's that other class that knows what "render
appropriately" means.  So what you might have (my system hasn't quite got
here yet) is this:

An interface called MyClassRenderer, with a single method whose signature is
something like "public String render(MyClass)".

Any number of classes that implement this interface -- as HTML, XML,
whatever they want.  Of course those classes can do any number of other
things, to implement MyClassRenderer they just need to provide this one
method.

For example, you might have a class called HTMLFullEsp that's designed to
provide a full rendering of everything in your system, in Spanish.  It would
provide the "render(MyClass)" method, and its code would produce HTML with
Spanish text.  And it might provide a lot of other methods designed to
render other things in your system in the same style.

Of course, all this is like explaining to a baby how to walk.  At least, it
was for me.  You've got to get up on your rear appendages and bump into a
lot of furniture -- which is what you're doing.  Eventually (after several
months) it becomes clear.

PC2