  • Subject: RE: HTML to XML, vice versa
  • From: "Stone, Brad V (TC)" <bvstone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 10:02:50 -0600

Here's my next question.

This makes sense, but is a little too "abstract" for my taste.  Here is why.

I can understand how you would control whether to use HTML or XML or any
other decorator.  With HTML this is easy because <td> is always <td>.

But, if you want to use XML, where do you get the tag names from?  Are they
hard coded into the decorator?  If you have a vector of vectors (ie a
"table" of data) you have no way of knowing what the data actually is.
Unless of course each object in the vector element is really a data
structure with different descriptors such as field name, XML tag name, HTML
table classname, the data itself, etc...

Then I see the problem of loading the table.  You need to know all of this
stuff before hand.  And since you don't know if it's XML or HTML in the end,
you should fill in all of this information.  Add another format and you've
got more descriptors in your data structure object to worry about.

I'm just trying to think through this (actually trying to do it) and
reaching these roadblocks.

Brad