  • Subject: Re: Decimal rounding of a float data type in Java.
  • From: "James Donkin" <James@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2001 09:12:27 -0000

> I expect you didn't notice the original source of this thread, where the
> questioner was asking why he or she got something like 8.23999999999993755
> instead of 8.24, after a simple calculation.

This is not the original question - the Mangesh wants to round the floating
point to two decimal places for use in both display and later in validation.
I think that Mangesh fully understands what floating point numbers are.

Original Question

> I need to display a float value on the screen with 2 decimal points and
later use that value to perform validations. The
> problem is that the float value which calculated has 6plus decimal
precision which is totally unwarranted. for e.g.
>   3.00 - 1.70 - 0.20 - 0.20 = 0.89999999... instead of 0.90
> Since my validations are based on 0.90 there is a mismatch.
>
> Is there any way in which I can calculate the float value without
unnecessary precision or at least display the right value of >
> 0.90
 > Mangesh

Jesus.Bautista@chase.com  showed a good way for formating to String for
display using DecimalFormat, e.g.

> DecimalFormat   twoDigits = new  DecimalFormat( " 0.00" );

All I was suggesting was two ways to get a float with two decimal places...
e.g.

>    float roundedInt = Float.parseFloat(twoDigits.format( average ));

To reuse the string, However as Sting and DecimalFormat are classes it might
be more efficient to use primitives - e.g.

>    int temp = (int)(average * 100);
>    average = (float)temp / 100;

Which converts without creating a string. If you multiply any float by one
hundred and turn in into an integer it will be a whole number (by
definition). If you divide any whole number by one hundred and cast it into
a float it will have at most two decimal places.

> Floating point numbers
> work in binary, not in decimal.  So dividing by 100 is not "just a
two-digit
> shift" in floating point, that would be dividing by 4.

Java data types are decimal not binary. The underlying implementation might
be binary but the float is a decimal number - dividing it by one hundred is
a two digit shift.

> And by the way,
> 323/34 is no more irrational than 422/100.  Both are rational numbers.

true - but is 8.23999999999993753  ?