  • Subject: DB2 JDBC connection
  • From: "Xu, Weining" <Weining.Xu@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 14:47:31 -0500

Hi,

I am using AS/400 Toolbox for Java to connect the DB2 database on AS/400
(type 4 JDBC driver).  I run the Java program on NT client machine using
VAJ. I have two questions here.

1)  What will be the proper size to have the data in a result set?  One time
I have 220,000 rows in one result set.  Then process the data and update the
results back to the database.  This was done on the same table.  I tested
that it will be faster to have all data in one result set than break down to
several small result sets.  I guess that the later approach requires more
database traffics.   But I have another situation that requires to process
data from multiple tables.  If I have all data (about 10,000 rows) in one
result set, the process will be very very slower after about 1000 rows being
processed. So I have to divide the data in smaller groups (1000 rows per
group).  Any general rules? suggestions?

2) After I processed about 1000 records at a time. my con.close(); statement
will take about 5 minutes to complete. It seems that the system has to do
something  else before the connection will able to be closed, what is that?
One more thing, I was monitoring the AS/400 active jobs while I run the Java
program.  I noticed that my JAVA job QZDASOINIT did not end even my program
had completed closed the connection.  The job QZDASOINIT was still running
for about another 5-8 minutes.  I am very new to AS/400.  I guess that
AS/400 has to clean up some resources before ending the job. Does anyone
know why? How could I find out what AS/400 does before it ends the job?

Weining (Wayne) Xu
ALICO Information Systems & Technology
Wilmington, DE. USA
Phone: +302.594.2846  Fax: +302.594.2215
Email:   weining.xu@aig.com