  • Subject: RE: Instantiation question
  • From: "Adams, Kevin" <Kevin.Adams@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 12:16:37 -0600

> I appreciate everyone's explanations and now I understand how
> it works, but
> where would I use this in a real world application?  I am
> trying to break my
> mental barrier from RPG to Java.  In RPG I would CHAIN or
> READ from a file
> and the I specs that were created on the compile would hold
> the info for
> each of the fields of that file.

Well, now you should view the student as something that relates to real
life:
It would have properties and actions like:

Properties:
Grade Point Average
Classification (Sophomore, Jr, Sr, etc..)
Age
etc...

Actions:
getEnrolledClasses
setHomeRoom
etc...

These would correspond to what you would do in RPG
The properties are like fields stored in physical files
Maybe you would have a Student Master file which had a Grade Point Average
field
Also, you could have a Classification field in that same file

For the actions, this almost corresponds to a subroutine or subprocedure.
You may use a subprocedure to retrieve a list of classes in the
Student-Classes master file by chaining and placing the results in an array
or something similar.
You might set the homeroom field in the Student master file.

In java, it's the same way. Methods give action to an object. Class
variables give properties to an object.

Hope that clears things up.

Kev