  • Subject: RE: JTOPEN FTP Through a Firewall question
  • From: "Bennion, Dick" <Dick_Bennion@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 11:25:35 -0600

I have discovered the difficulty getting through the firewall using the FTP
object.

The problem is that Passive mode returns a high numbered port for data
transfer.  Our firewall rejects the request for the high numbered port.  I
found that by using issueCommand to send a PORT command I can cause Passive
mode to use port 20.

I fixed the problem in two different but similar ways.
1.  I modified FTP.java by adding a method to retrieve the ip address of the
current control socket.  Then I subclassed FTP.java and added a method to
issue the PORT command.

2.  I modified FTP.java by adding a method to set the port for the data
transfer.

Apparently command line FTP requests the server to use port 20 for data
transfer.

Dick Bennion