  • Subject: RE: Performance problems using dataqueues to NT.
  • From: francess@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 11:08:33 -0500

I have spoken with Debbie Hatt on this and looked at the help on the PURGE
option, and here is what I have learned (with some clarification for Java
programmers for whom "classes" has a different meaning than AS400 *CLS
type):

   The "classes" being referred to are *CLS objects on the AS/400, not Java
   classes. An AS/400 *CLS object contains parameters that control the
   running of a routing step for a subsystem which affects all jobs running
   in that subsystem.

   The PURGE parameter on the *CLS object can be *NO or *YES.
   *NO indictes that jobs running in the subsystem (e.g.  for WebSphere
   3.02 this would be QEJBSBS) will not be moved out of main storage and
   put into auxilliary storage at the end of a time slice or when beginning
   a long wait. However when main storage is needed to run other threads in
   the same storage pool, pages belonging to threads in a job in a long
   wait or at the end of a time slice may be moved to auxilliary storage to
   accommodate pages needed for other threads or jobs.

   *YES would be better named *MAYBE. A decision is made by the operating
   system code on whether move a job out of main storage into auxilliary
   storage if it is eligible. This option says that if the operating system
   deems it necessary or wise to move the job, it is OK to do so.

   In V4R5, Program Activation Groups (PAGs) no longer exist, so whether
   PURGE is *NO or *YES does not matter.

   In V4R4, depending on your system, you may want to change the value to
   *NO, but typically this would be decided after having performed a system
   performance analysis over the subsystem pool with a typical workload
   running to determine if such a change is required.

One question I have is what performance improvement percentages have you
seen on WebSphere 3.02 between the two settings (i.e. out of the box versus
changing QEJB/QEJBCLS to have PURGE(*NO)). Running what type of
application? And on what OS/400 release level?

Frances Stewart
Java II and Applications Enablement
External: (507) 253-2795
Tie-line: 8-553-2795