  • Subject: Re: File Paths
  • From: cujo@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 14:05:17 -0500

Well, my thought is that, given the information here, everything seems like
it is working correctly.

Quick answer:

1) If it isn't causing problems for your application, don't worry about it.
2) If it is causing a problem, make sure you are up to date on PTFs and
stuff.  We used to do stuff like leave ResultSet cursors open for a lazy
close on reuse.  Things like that can cause problems (and did at one time
for WebSphere).  We are smarter now and don't do that anymore (please don't
ask me for a PTF number - it was a long time ago and I don't even know that
I can tell you the specific release it was first changed in).

If you do this and the problem still exists, report it through standard
support channels so it can be determined if similar problems have already
been resolved.

Detailed answer:

What you are probably seeing is that the cursors are not being closed for
performance.  They are what we call pseudo-closed.  What this means is that
they are open but flagged as closed.  It is a little more complex than
that, but that is the general idea.  This is *exactly* why you would want
to use connection pooling.  By getting the built up pseudo-closed cursors,
the pooled connection will yield better performance.  Otherwise every open
would have to be a full open, and that is very expensive.

Also, note that hooks have been put into the system to handle these locks
on objects caused by pseudo-closed cursors.  So for example, you open a
file, read some data, then close it, and it gets pseudo closed.  But later,
someone wants to delete the file.  Technically the cursor is open, which
results in a lock on the file.  But there are special signalled events that
tell the job holding the lock to truly close the psuedo closed file, so
that the operation can complete.

Regards,

Richard D. Dettinger
AS/400 Java Data Access Team

"TRUE! nervous, very, very dreadfully nervous I had been and am; but why
WILL you say that I am mad?
The disease had sharpened my senses, not destroyed, not dulled them. "

- Edgar Allan Poe
"The Tell-Tale Heart"

Madhavan <seawolf00@yahoo.com>@midrange.com on 09/19/2000 10:38:54 AM

Please respond to JAVA400-L@midrange.com