  • Subject: RE: Preferred method to access databases from Servlets
  • From: cujo@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 13:55:12 -0500

Concerning double interpretation:

1) Java is not an interpreted language (or at least it doesn't have to be).
Between JIT (which you can expect to skyrocket in performance in JDK 1.3 if
everything I have seen it true) and the CRTJVAPGM command/support, you
should not be interpreting Java code.  It runs as system binaries.

2) What you try to accomplish through caching/pooling is the reuse of Java
objects to minimize any interpretation at that level as well.  A connection
pool eliminates connection creation, a well built statement pool can remove
an SQL statement interpretation (for most types of applications).

My numbers are now rounded and coming from memory, but for the COMMON
presentation I mentioned in my references note yesterday, I took the
performance of doing a couple hundred SQL statements (inserts and queries)
from 43 seconds with no pooling to about 24 seconds with connection pooling
to 1.5 seconds with Statement pooling.  Consult the presentation info for
more details.  The complete code to run the tests for yourself is in the
.zip file if you choose to.  The example is, of course, contrived to be
specific to what I want to show, but the performance gains you can get from
JDBC object pooling are very much for real.  And most importantly, it is
easy to do and doesn't hinder a good solid object oriented design.

That is about all I have to say on the subject.  I stated before that I
don't think we will ever beat native IO performance.  We can just get much
closer than most people think and the code is easier to maintain and runs
on any platform without modfication.

Regards,

Richard D. Dettinger
AS/400 Java Data Access Team

"TRUE! nervous, very, very dreadfully nervous I had been and am; but why
WILL you say that I am mad?
The disease had sharpened my senses, not destroyed, not dulled them. "

- Edgar Allan Poe
"The Tell-Tale Heart"

Eric Merritt <cyberlync@yahoo.com>@midrange.com on 09/19/2000 11:13:03 AM

Please respond to JAVA400-L@midrange.com