Hi Folks,

Can anyone explain to me why i am getting these errors when compileing in va
java.

The type named recordFormat is not defined.
The method getField invoked for type com.ibm.as400.access. RecordFormat with
arguments [java.lang.String] is not defined.
The variable named SCDESCField is not defined.

I am trying to take a passed parameter "SEMESTER" (5 digit number) and
retrieve a record equal to "SEMESTER". I then want to pick up a description
field in that record ("SCDESCField")

public void getReqInfo(HttpServletRequest req, PrintWriter out) throws
ServletException, IOException {

         // Create an AS400 object.
         AS400 sys = new AS400("mis.marywood.edu");

         // Create a file object that represents the file
         KeyedFile SEMPCNTL = new KeyedFile(sys,
"/QSYS.LIB/DATALIBR.LIB/SEMPCNTL.FILE/%FILE%.MBR");

         // Assume that the AS400FileRecordDescription class was used to
generate the code for
         // a subclass of RecordFormat that represents the record format of
file SEMPCNTL in
         // library DATALIBR.
         RecordFormat recordFormat = new recordFormat();

         // Set the record format for SEMPCNTL. This must be done prior to
invoking open()
         SEMPCNTL.setRecordFormat(recordFormat);

         // Open the file.
         SEMPCNTL.open(AS400File.READ_WRITE, 0,
AS400File.COMMIT_LOCK_LEVEL_NONE);

         // The record format for the file contains one key field, SCREG
         Object[] key = new Object[1];
         key[0] = new Integer(req.getParameter("SEMESTER"));

         // Read the first record matching key
         Record keyedRecord = SEMPCNTL.read(key);

         // If the record was not found, null is returned.
         if (keyedRecord != null)
         { // Found the record, print out the info.

           // Retrieve the field value of Semester Description
           String SCDESCField=(String)recordFormat.getField("SCDESC");

           System.out.println("Semester Information for " + (String)key[0] +
":");
           System.out.println(keyedRecord);
         }

         // Close the file since I am done using it
         SEMPCNTL.close();

         // Disconnect since I am done using record-level access
         sys.disconnectService(AS400.RECORDACCESS);

                out.Println("You have selected the" + SCDESCField +
"semester");
                out.println("<H4><B>Additional Request
Information:</B></H4>");
                out.println("<B>Request method:</B> " + req.getMethod() +
"<BR>");
                out.println("<B>Request URI:</B> " + req.getRequestURI() +
"<BR>");
                out.println("<B>Servlet path:</B> " + req.getServletPath() +
"<BR>");
                out.println("<B>Servlet name:</B> " + req.getServerName() +
"<BR>");
                out.println("<B>Path info:</B> " + req.getPathInfo() +
"<BR>");

}

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Michael P. Gibbons
Manager of Programming & Technical Services
MARYWOOD UNIVERSITY
2300 Adams Ave.
Scranton, PA 18509