Thanks Jon.  That is some interesting input.  I must confess that I have not
done any socket programming, and so it did not readily come to mind.  If you
assume that the client can talk data queues (hmm, what could that be? :-D) are
there advantages/disadvantages to using sockets locally or remotely?

I take it that you agree with the concept; that is comforting.  Do you have any
pointers or resources that would be of benefit in implementing such an
architecture on the AS/400 (like somebody that has done it and wants to give
away the code)?

Ideally I would like to avoid writing my own application server of course.  That
is why CORBA, LDAP, or something similar would be of considerable interest,
remembering that I am not able to lock the host based version into a very recent
(modern) release though.  It appears to me that I am destined to write whatever
service abstraction layer I require.

More input?  Any nay sayers?

-Andrew Goodspeed
London Bridge Group