  • Subject: Re: HELP on SECURITY...
  • From: "Alex Garrison" <agarrison@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Dec 1999 08:25:21 -0500

Victor,

Creating user profiles is the most straightforward solution.  You can then
use the toolbox to call the QSYGETPH os/400 api to validate the password.

If 1000 is too many user profiles how about:
1. create a physical file with the user names and passwords.
2. Set the authority on the file so that everyone is excluded except a
single user profile.
3. Write an rpg program that will accept a user name and password as inputs
and return a true/false answer.
4. Have your servlet use the toolbox rec level i/o classes to connect to the
as/400 using that single user profile from step 2. Then have the servlet
call the rpg program you wrote in step 3.

Since only one user profile can access the physical file with the actual
password, the file is almost as secure as being encrypted.  Since your
servlet would only get true/false answers back from the rpg program, noone
could misuse your servlet to dump the contents of the file.

Anyone else have an idea?

Alex Garrison