  • Subject: Re: Servlets
  • From: "Luther Ananda Miller" <luther.miller@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 15:47:25 +0100

There are two ways to look at how JSP's can be called.

1) You can access a *.JSP page on the website. The HTTP server will see the
JSP extension (assuming you set it up that way) and pass it to WebSphere.
WebSphere will examine the JSP file (compile it into a servlet if not
already done) and then execute it. You may or may not invoke other servlets
with the JSP. In this scenario, the minimum would be to script the JSP
itself which is HTML with some extensions.

2) When a servlet is invoked, you could use the callPage method to redirect
to a JSP for the output of the servlet. You can make objects available to
the JSP you are going to call, which can access those objects in its code.
In this way, you can program a servlet to perform some functionality, and
then use the JSP to format the output. This keeps the presentation separate
from the fiunctionality, so that an HTML designer can design the output page
with a minimum knowledge of JSP and a Java programmer can program the
functionality of the servlet.

You could of course combine 1 & 2. For example, you might have a JSP page
which displays an HTML Form whose action is a servlet, which performs some
operation, and displays the JSP with output...

I think it can be a bit confusing at first. My recommendation is to jump
right into and try some basic JSPs out. There is some good documentation in
the IBM WebSphere guide. Also, I found that the following sample helped me
to be able to start programming useful JSP straightaway:
http://java.about.com/compute/java/library/weekly/aa062399.htm?terms=Java+an
d+JSP&PM=112_300_T
(the above link all on one line with no spaces)

Luther