  • Subject: RE: Application vs. Applets vs. Servlets
  • From: rstearns@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 10:48:54 -0700

Rich,
You are correct in regard to item 2.  I was approaching the servlet/applet
question from a public network application rather then someone who has "multiple
use" users of the application.  Applets make sense in a Intranet environment
where the users are regular, when you face new users all the time then the
downloads become burdensome.
Royce

|--------+------------------------->
|        |          "Haney, Rich"  |
|        |          <rich_haney@gil|
|        |          barco.com>     |
|        |                         |
|        |          09/30/99 08:13 |
|        |          AM             |
|        |          Please respond |
|        |          to JAVA400-L   |
|        |                         |
|--------+------------------------->
  >----------------------------------------------------------------|
  |       To:     "'JAVA400-L@midrange.com'"                       |
  |       <JAVA400-L@midrange.com>                                 |
  |       cc:     (bcc: Royce Stearns/Manage)                      |
  |       Subject:     RE: Application vs. Applets vs. Servlets    |
  >----------------------------------------------------------------|

As a servlet and JSP enthusiast in general I agree with 1.) and 3.) in
general, but as to 2.) believe that applets are only downloaded to a client
if they are more recent than the version on the server ( or they do not
exist at all on the client ).  So, after the first time a given version of
an applet is used, there is no downloading that occurs. Correct me if I am
wrong.  If I am wrong, then Sun et. al. are also then considerably dumber
than Microsoft and its use of ActiveX technology, which would lead to me to
do heavy drinking to say the least.

Regarding 3.) I believe that a Swing applet right on the desktop is somewhat
faster than an applet getting HTML remotely, but that most users would not
notice the difference unless it is a very graphics-intensive situation.
That becomes the one situation I would use an applet.  So I would be apt to
use applets only for very complex user interfaces, or for very
graphics-intensive situations, namely about 10-15% of the time.  The the
rest of the time I use servlets or JSP's.  I would use applications
downloaded to the user's own machine ( the client ) 0% of the time, that is,
not at all. )