  • Subject: RE: help with applets...
  • From: dawall@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 16:43:43 -0500

I opened up the exception file and saw the following stack trace.
     java.io.UnsupportedEncodingException: Cp037 [Could not load class:
sun.io.ByteToCharCp037]
     at sun/io/ByteToCharConverter.getConverter
     at java/io/InputStreamReader.<init>
     at com/ibm/as400/access/ConvTable.<init>
     at com/ibm/as400/access/ConvTable.getTable
     at com/ibm/as400/access/Converter.<init>
     at com/ibm/as400/access/Converter.getConverter
     at com/ibm/as400/access/Converter.getConverter
     at com/ibm/as400/access/DataStream.<clinit>
     at com/ibm/as400/access/AS400.<clinit>
     at java/lang/ClassLoader.findSystemClass

This stack trace indicates you are using a very old version of the Toolbox.  We
saw this behavior with the original Toolbox (the one that came out with OS/400
V4R2).  The first or second Toolbox PTF fixed this problem and it has been fixed
in all Toolbox releases since v4r2.  Please load the latest PTF or upgrade to a
newer version of the Toolbox and try again.

FYI - the problem is browsers do not ship EBCDIC to/from unicode conversion
tables.  Your program (or via the Toolbox sign-on dialog) a userid in Unicode (a
Java String) is delivered to the Toolbox.  It must convert the Userid to EBCDIC
before sending it to the AS/400.  The client JVMs (Sun's Win32 and Solaris JVMs,
IBM's Win 32, AIX and AS/400 JVMs, etc.) ship conversion tables, browsers don't.
In 'normal' cases the Toolbox can handle this.  We get a conversion table from
the AS/400.  We have the chicken and egg problem at signon time, however.  We
cannot get a conversion table unless we communicate (signon) with the AS/400 but
we can't signon unless we convert the UserID.  We fixed this by shipping a
Unicode to 37 (ebcdic) table with the Toolbox.  UserIDs can contain only a small
subset of characters and we make sure we can convert them.

I hope this helps,

David Wall
AS/400 Toolbox for Java

"Gunda, Praveen (CTS)" <GPraveen@dbss.com> on 09/22/99 02:36:13 AM