[Dennis Munro wrote:]
I also would like some info on where to start learning what Java can &
cannot do.  I have an 9406-2165 and a 9402-400 that the Java toolbox has
been installed on.  It's on and that is as far as I've gotten in 9+ months.
With a brand new ERP install now somewhat running, I'm hoping I can devote
some time to "learning" what is all on the two machines.  My F35 is a dying
relic and it's being put out to pasture later this year.

Java is something I'm trying to learn but I'm also trying to get into Visual
RPG.  I just would like a guiding hand/foot to point me in the right
direction for Java and what it can do on the 400
---------

Congratulations on getting your ERP "somewhat" running.  That's quite an
accomplishment these days.

As far as Java/400 goes, well, that's what I hope this forum turns out to be.  A
place for people to get started, and a place to learn and share new techniques.
As has been stated, you can always go to my website to get started.  I've got a
page (www.zappie.net/java/javatorium/installi.htm) that will guide you through
downloading all the pieces necessary for Java/400, installing them and testing
them.  I've got a few pages on basic Java programming and more pages on some
specific Java/400 stuff, including my JDB/400 and JBUI packages.  There are some
working programs to download along with source, and I intend to put a lot more
on.  There are links to some good resources as well.

I'd also take a look at Midrange Computing magazine.  MC has been publishing
quite a few Java-related articles (several by yours truly).  An upcoming issue
(June, I think) will have a couple of real life utility programs.  One of them
is entirely AS/400 based; it converts a spooled file to a PDF file using IBM's
toolbox and, of all things, a package originally written for UNIX (yeah, I admit
it, I wrote it, but it was all Don Denoncourt's idea <grin>).  The point is that
we can now take advantage of code written for ANY platform and use it on the
AS/400.  That's the true beauty of Java in my opinion.

Once you get your feet wet, I'd love to use this forum as a place for people to
share their experiences.  I'll make every effort to help, and I'm sure others
will too.

The more we work together, the more we learn.