  • Subject: Re: IBM's AS/400 toolbox for JAVA
  • From: Bob_Love@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 09:32:26 -0800

What functionality does the Java toolkit provide that you do not have with the
OLE DB toolkit?

sashi <sashi@halcyon.com> on 03/24/99 08:41:38 AM

Please respond to JAVA400-L@midrange.com

To:   JAVA400-L@midrange.com
cc:    (bcc: Bob Love/Bend/OrcomSolutions)

Thanks to all those who replied for my question.

The OLE DB toolkit ships with Client Access (even Express version) does not
seem to have all the functionality that the IBM's JAVA Toolbox does.  So
basically, if I want to use Visual Basic to use the IBM JAVA toolbox's
equivalent functionality, I seems to have the following choises: use MS JVM,
use COM <-> CORBA bridge, or use other third vendor's rich OLE DB toolkit...
My understanding is that MS JVM is not pure 100% Java compliant. Also, it
sounds like you need a fair amonut of labor to make COM <-> CORBA mechanism
work...  I probably should find out what other vendors distribute good and
rich OLD DB toolkit...

Thanks, again!