  • Subject: Re: InSchool AS/400 Evangelism
  • From: Chris Rehm <Mr.AS400@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Nov 1997 01:40:29 PDT

** Reply to note from Jromeh@aol.com Fri, 28 Nov 1997 18:52:25 -0500 (EST)

> This is a great idea. Keeps cost down by using ever-decreasing comm costs
> to make local hardware uneccessary.

Which is a part of the "The Network Is The Computer" philosophy is supposed
to be about. So it would be a good working model of the environment that IBM
is working to sell.

> "Our IBM AS/400 SchoolServers program operates around the clock, with
> 99.9% uptime last year. How often are the servers running your business
> servers out of service?"

Obviously, Rochester would want to see such ads and I am sure they can pay
for them. However, IBM would no doubt want to advertise all their different
pieces.

The upshot would be that a school connected to IBM hardware via Advantis
could have access to Unix machines, NT boxes, mainframes, and AS/400s.
Students could train on whatever IBM was making available across Advantis. I
know that IBM leases out machines for web service across Advantis. If IBM
did choose such a method to give access to schools, at least Rochester would
have a way to get students trained on current gear.

> Savings on the machines and their support, but there are still definite
> creation, administration, and support costs to offset here. Especially
> wrt connectivity.

Of course there are still costs. I was just looking for a solution that
might cost the same or less than IBM's current philanthropy programs but
that would give access to current hardware on all platforms.

I am sure that what schools ask for are pentium pcs connected to a network
and running Win95. Mainstream pieces. IBM needs to find a way to give them
what they want, but still indicate a direction that is more toward what IBM
would like to see them using.

> /* Jerome Hughes jromeh@aol.com */ /* InterPro Consulting Services
> www.interproinc.com */

Chris Rehm
Mr.AS400@ibm.net

How often can you afford to be unexpectedly out of business?
Get an AS/400.