From: Joe Pluta <joepluta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 23:09:26
To: EGL on and around the IBM i<egl-i@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [EGL-i] Wooo Hooo!

I'm not sure I understand the question. Are you saying someone is going
to give you an XML layout and you're supposed to write the web service
for it? You can do it, but that's usually not the way things are done.
Typically you would define the business requirement, then build the
record that handles it. Next, you'd build a function that returns the
record, and with a couple of clicks turn that into a web service.
Finally, you'd generate the WSDL for that service and give it to the
consumer.

Rarely have I seen the situation where the consumer tells the provider
what the XML will look like. In that case, you might be better off just
reading the XML and using whatever language you're most comfortable with
to parse it. In fact, you can do it with RPG easily enough.

Joe
Finally! A resource that I can ask dumb questions about EGL and get smart
answers!

Here's my challenge:

Create a host of web services that not only access data on the i, but can
also access other DB's (SQL server) using some type of connection stream
(JDBC, ODBC, etc).

Here's my experience:

Senior level developer that has used another 4GL to create web services on
the i (aside from EGL). I have used Rational (RDi for RPG and CLP
programming and just [last week] downloaded and have started to use RBD -
with WAS 7.0 for Developers). I was lucky enough to get WAS 7.0 running on
my PC and start the server, but have no idea how to write in EGL. I have
completed a couple of the tutorials (Hello World jsp and Hello World
service) but NEED MORE!!

Here's what I'd like to get from this forum:

The knowledge of HOW to create web services that will connect to specific
DB's to respond to requestors with specific XML structures (defined by
specs) as the response.

Not too much to ask, eh?

HEP ME .HEP ME PLEASE!!!

Thanks!