Well reading a bit and learning to pay close attention seems to have paid off. I can't say whether everything works in Linux but I was able to install the plugin in Eclipse and begin to run the tutorial (I just didn't have the time to run it forward all the way).

A couple of things to pay attention to:

Make sure you go to the "older versions" when you are downloading Eclipse. By default the current J2EE version of Eclipse is Galileo and, trust me, it *doesn't* work with the EGL-CE plugin. You want the J2EE version of Ganymede. I downloaded SR2.

Outside of that, the only other download (or install) was to install Java 5 which my fresh copy of OpenSUSE 11.1 did not have installed, so I used Yast to install it.

The RUI demo was a tough test of dexterity for me. I'll let you form your own opinion but as I walked through the first few steps of creating the window and adding boxes to it, it was pretty dang tough for these eyes and hands to *carefully* position the cursor *just so* in order to get the boxes in the proper position. I'll be interested in what kind of experience others have who try the "Password Window" RUI tutorial (in windows OR Linux). Being unable to grow the boxes after they have been placed on the pallet initially makes it difficult to drop additional boxes in the correct position. Or, maybe I just need new bifocals.....

At least it loads and seems to work in Linux, so that is a start.

Pete

Pete Helgren wrote:
Thanks for that reminder and link. I am re-downloading the correct version of Eclipse (J2EE) and I'll post back when it is installed. I should have RTFM'ed before heading out on my own.

The usual "ready,shoot,aim" routine for me....

Pete

Colpaert, Peter wrote:
I remember reading that you shouldn't just drop the plugins in the folder, but use the installer included in eclipse:

"The plugin should be installed via Software Updates menu and not put into the dropins directory."

(see http://www-949.ibm.com/software/rational/cafe/docs/DOC-3245 )

HTH,

Peter Colpaert
Software Engineer, Philips Consumer Luminaires

Industrieterrein Satenrozen 11, 2550 Kontich, Belgium
Tel. +32/ 3 450 74 09, Fax +32/ 3 450 74 33, Internal 1317
peter.colpaert@xxxxxxxxxxx, www.philips.com

Simply Switch to printing double-sided and printing less