If I understand the implementation correctly, I think EGL could be a nice
strategic direction--as long as IBM continues to support and develop it.
Others have been more eloquent in stating it, but a big part of the beauty
of EGL is that IBM can extend and develop the presentation format and make
it very easy for the developer to incorporate in their application. If
you structure your application well, switching from one to another
shouldn't be a huge effort.