With a firm grasp on this:
https://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21448358
I delved into some Domino DAOS pruning anomalies.
Three of my Domino servers are cluster mates and should be rather identical: NOTES01, NOTES02, NOTES03.
However I noticed a few things.
First I ran the example sql script "Analyze IFS storage consumption" found in the latest version of IBM i Access Client Solutions. I noticed that both the summary of the size of all of the DAOS directories, and the number of objects in those directories, were much larger on NOTES03.
IFS_DIRECTORY TOTAL_SIZE NBR_OBJECTS
/NOTES01/NOTES/DATA/DAOS 14,573,982,653 4791
/NOTES01/NOTES/DATA/mail 8,182,562,816 28
/NOTES02/NOTES/DATA/DAOS 14,716,998,303 4800
/NOTES02/NOTES/DATA/mail 8,847,884,361 29
/NOTES03/NOTES/DATA/DAOS 68,889,719,379 38289
/NOTES03/NOTES/DATA/mail 8,489,271,369 31
I ran a SHOW STAT DAOS and it was synchronized.
I also noticed that the size of daoscat.nsf on NOTES03 was in the GB. 100 times the size of it on NOTES01 or NOTES02.
So I dropped NOTES03. Deleted daoscat.nsf using the OS. (I had tried the admin client but even a TELL DAOSMGR QUIT would not free it up.)
I started the server back up. I ran TELL DAOSMGR RESYNC and let that run.
Then I ran TELL DAOSMGR PRUNE which told me the default number of days to keep unreferenced NLO's was 15. So I then ran
TELL DAOSMGR PRUNE 15

The daoscat is under 5mb.
Before After
IFS_DIRECTORY TOTAL_SIZE NBR_OBJECTS TOTAL_SIZE NBR_OBJECTS
/NOTES03/NOTES/DATA/DAOS 68,889,719,379 38289 21,288,205,791 6956
/NOTES03/NOTES/DATA/mail 8,489,271,369 31 8,561,098,752 30

Granted our mail is shrinking in size as we are migrating mail to O365.

Group Dekko
Dept 1600
Mail to: 2505 Dekko Drive
Garrett, IN 46738