Hi Rob,

We introduced two enhancements in Domino 9.0(also apply to the later 9.0.x
version), which can improve performance. One is Advanced Argument
Optimization, another is Adaptive Code Generation.

Previously only when you save/restore program object from IBM i 5.4 to 6.1
or later will require an object conversion. But in Domino 9.0 with the
Adaptive Code Generation(ACG), if you move program across different
hardware models it may requires program conversion too, but the ACG can
enable the program to fully utilize the new hardware features thus improve
performance. I think your program conversion message should be caused by
this.

Adaptive Code Generation - IBM i provides the Technology Independent
Machine Interface(TIMI) to isolate the underlying Hardware architecture
changes from impacting the up level applications. For a given version of
IBM i OS, it has a translator which translate the machine interface
represented program to the hardware instructions. A given OS release might
be supported on a number of different system models and their processors
might be somehow different. Before IBM i 6.1, to make an application able
to run on all the system models supported by an OS release, the translator
was designed to generate instructions that would run on all system models
supported by that OS release. But this might cause a gap of a number of
years between the availability of a processor feature and its use in your
programs. As of IBM i 6.1, if you build a program on a model of system, the
translator can take advantage of all its processor features, to have a
better performance. And if you move the program to another model of system
which does not have all the processor features as the original one, the
program conversion will occur when you restore the program or the first
time when the program start to run, therefore the program can still run
correctly, this is what we called Adaptive Code Generation (ACG). Domino
9.0 targets to IBM i 6.1, and is built on Power 6 hardware, so it will has
better performance if you run it on Power 6 or newer models, but if you run
it on Power 5 models, program conversion is needed when you first install
it with below command or when you start Domino the first time.

RSTLICPGM FRCOBJCVN(*YES *RQD)

Advanced Argument Optimization - this is a cross-module optimization to
improve the program runtime performance by enabling the translator and
binder to use the most efficient mechanisms to pass parameters and return
results between produces. This works the best with intensive procedure
calls which has 16-byte pointer as parameters or return result. Starting
from IBM i 6.1, an ARGOPT(*YES) parameter is available for the program
creating commands. And we adopted it in our Domino 9.0 build, and in our
lab testing, we noticed about 5+% performance improvements for CPU
utilization.

For more information you can refer chapter 13 in the ILE concept red book(
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/api/content/ssw_ibm_i_71/ilec/sc415606.pdf
).

Best Regards
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Shuang Hong, Wang (王双红)
Architect, Collaboration and Social Products on IBM i (
https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/ibmi/social)
IBM, China Systems and Technology Laboratory (CSTL) | Tel: +86 10 82452360
| E-mail: wangshh@xxxxxxxxxx
Addr: Ring Bldg, NO. 28, ZhongGuanCun Software Park, No.8 Dong Bei Wang
West Road, Hai Dian District, Beijing P.R.China, 100193

|------------>
| From: |
|------------>
|rob@xxxxxxxxx |
|------------>
| To: |
|------------>
|domino400@xxxxxxxxxxxx |
|------------>
| Date: |
|------------>
|04/29/2014 04:07 AM |
|------------>
| Subject: |
|------------>
|Unload/reload of lpar from Power 6 to a newer machine giving me |

Trying to start my domino servers after a restore and I am getting:

Message . . . . : Domino objects require program conversion. Type any
key
then press Enter.

Cause . . . . . . . . . . . : Domino objects require program conversion.

Technical description . . . : Program conversion will occur followed by

processing of the Domino command - CFGDOMSVR, CHGDOMSVR or STRDOMSVR.
Program conversion may significantly increase the duration of the
command.

Message ID . . . . . . : LNT1403 Severity . . . . . . . : 30
Date sent . . . . . . : 04/28/14 Time sent . . . . . . : 15:22:46
Message type . . . . . : Inquiry
From . . . . . . . . . : QSECOFR CCSID . . . . . . . . : 65535

From program . . . . . . . . . : QNNINAPI
From library . . . . . . . . : QDOMINO901
From module . . . . . . . . : QNNINAPI
From procedure . . . . . . . : SendInqMsg
From statement . . . . . . . : 6

It was an lpar running IBM i 7.1. Running pure Domino 9.0.1 and only
9.0.1. 5733L85 is not even on this system.

I just saved it from an older Power 6.
Restored it on to a newer box.
Did the usual mumbo jumbo from the BRMS restore sheets.
RCLSTG, PTFs, IPL (in some order or another)

Did a couple of other unload/reload's of lpars with Domino today without
this issue.

I have a sev 1 ticket with IBM opened on this but while I am waiting for
the call back I thought I'd try this list.

Group Dekko
Dept 1600
Mail to: 2505 Dekko Drive
Garrett, IN 46738
Ship to: Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com

--
This is the Lotus Domino on the IBM i (AS/400 and iSeries) (Domino400)