Thanks. Had a devil of a time but finally got some key combination to
work. He's on 6.5.5 and Notes only (no admin/developer).

Noticed numerous policies in there, not sure if they are confused as to
who takes priority or what. What I do know is that I added a smart
upgrade setting on a new policy and it's not taking effect. The new
policy does show up in his policies.