I haven't tested this, but you may be able to create an 8.5.0 version of
the Directory's design, apply that to the Sametime server, make sure all
servers within the domain are set to not accept design changes for
names.nsf from the Sametime server and that the Sametime server isn't set
to push any design changes from names.nsf to the other servers in the
domain. Additionally, you'll want to add the variable
'Server_Upgrade_No_Directory_Redesign=1' to the Sametime server so
names.nsf doesn't get upgraded to the 8.5.1 design once you've set it back
to version 8.5.0.

I haven't tried this exact scenario to know if it will work, but it's an
idea. I have used a similar process to allow clustered servers to
accommodate running both 8.0.2 and 8.5.1.

Hope this helps.

Kim
--------
President
Kim Greene Consulting, Inc.
iSeries Domino consulting, education, and performance
www.kimgreene.com
www.bleedyellow.com/blogs/dominodiva
(507) 367-2888