I have some old documentation that used to work for searching my domino
served ldap.

From a 5250 session
QSH
ldapsearch -h ldap.dekko.com "cn=*gunter*"
Should return something like:
ldapsearch -h ldap.dekko.com "cn=*gunter*"
CN=Marc Gunter,O=DEKKO
mail=marcg@xxxxxxxxx
st=IN
c=USA
dominocertificate=NOT ASCII
objectclass=dominoPerson
objectclass=inetOrgPerson
objectclass=organizationalPerson
objectclass=person
objectclass=top
givenname=Marc
sn=Gunter
cn=Marc Gunter
uid=marcg@xxxxxxxxx
maildomain=DEKKO
$

However, now I am not getting anything. Granted, Marc's moved on but
*berendt* should work. I am getting this message:
scope is required for a null based search.