Wild guess, but there is a "Required for Domino 8 - performance fix with
new APIs" 5722SS1 SI24683 listed on the required PTF page for V5R4 (
http://www-912.ibm.com/s_dir/slkbase.nsf/ibmscdirect/44C236265A5AB6A786257210007CE9C9
), maybe there is a corresponding PTF for V6 that is not listed?

BTW, IBM sent me a nice link for a checklist to upgrading to Domino 8 on i
or i5/OS:
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=0&uid=swg21288332
Tom Kreimer
Network Manager
Buckhorn Inc, Milford OH

I did verify that it works fine on V5R4 and Domino 8.0.2. So the anomaly
must be with V6.