Recently we are getting a rash of people who are getting 123.DAT
attachments.  I don't know why they are not starting to flood me with
requests to fix this but I know how to fix them one by one.

Is there any reason NOT to globally change all users that have:
Format preference for incoming mail:    Prefers Notes Rich Text
Format preference for incoming mail:    Keep in senders' format

The help says:
If the user is an IMAP or POP3 only user, selecting Prefers MIME provides
the best fidelity and performance.
If all clients and servers are V5 or later, selecting Keep in senders’
format provides the best fidelity and performance.
If the environment includes V4 or earlier versions of the product, Prefers
Notes Rich Text provides the best fidelity and performance.

We started out on V4 but there isn't a hint of it left anywhere in this
domain.  Just holdovers you suspect?

I am thinking about requesting my manager to have our Notes security
person just change everyone that has the one to the other.