Good information, thanks for sharing.  Now if I could just figure out why
my Management Central and my iSeries Navigator are not on speaking
terms...

Patrick

rob@xxxxxxxxx
Sent by: domino400-bounces+ptrapp=nex-tech.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx
06/26/2006 10:56 AM
Please respond to
Lotus Domino on the iSeries / AS400 <domino400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

domino400@xxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
Monitoring the health of your Domino servers

I went to the as400connection conference.  Heard a presentation by Greg
Hintermeister of IBM entitled "Monitoring the Health of your System".  He
used iSeries Navigator, or iNav, to tell if Domino servers are running.  I

tried it out (with some customization) and it works pretty well.  Let's
get started...

Start, All Programs, IBM iSeries Access for Windows, iSeries Navigator
If you do not have iSeries Navigator then:
  Start, All Programs, IBM iSeries Access for Windows, Selective Setup
  and install almost all options of iSeries Navigator,
  especially all Management Central options
Once in Navigator, expand Management Central.  You might have to pick a
central system at this time.
If you do not have the Management Central part of iSeries Navigator then:
  Start, All Programs, IBM iSeries Access for Windows, Selective Setup
  and install almost all options of iSeries Navigator,
  especially all Management Central options
Expand Monitors
Select Job Monitors
Right click on Job and select New Monitor
Give it a name.  For example "Monitor Domino server xyz".
Under Subsystem select the subsystem associated with that Domino server.
You can determine this with the 5250 command WRKDOMSVR.
Click Add
Under Metrics, select Job Count, Click Add.  Under threshold 1 select
Enable trigger.  Do a WRKDOMSVR, then a 9=Work server jobs.  Count all
jobs except the subsystem.  Subtract 1 or 2 that may be temp jobs like a
scheduled replication, etc.  Put this number in the number of jobs. Change

the greater sign to a less than sign.
In trigger command you can use some i5 command.  At our shop we use a
custom command to send email out without Domino.  And the email goes to a
few Domino users, cell phones, etc.
In the actions tab you may want to restrict this to 8-5 Monday thru
Friday.  If the Domino server is down for a backup, do you want to get
paged in the middle of the night?
Under Sharing I selected controlled.  This allows others to start the
monitor if I am out of the office.  They cannot change anything else.

Repeat for each Domino server listed in WRKDOMSVR.

There is a "Servers to monitor" tab that lists Domino.  However, for
systems with multiple DPARS that may not give the granularity to send out
a detailed message like "Domino server xyz is not running".  You would be
limited to "Since we normally have 500 jobs running underneath QNOTES and
now we only have 450 you may want to check into what is not running".

You may want to vary the number of jobs by DPAR.  For example a typical
domino server here has anywhere from 15 to 22 jobs.  However our SAMETIME
server has at least 50.  We set that server to anything less than 45 let
us know.