Thank you so much for the assistance.  I really appreciate it. Here's
where things stand:

I added the following lines to the notes.ini and restarted the server:

JavaUserClasses=E:\Lotus\Domino\Data\domino\servlet\sessearch.jar
DominoEnableJavaServlets=1
JavaVerbose=1

I also tried JavaUserClasses=E:\Lotus\Domino\Data\domino\servlet

The console now is loaded with messages about it loading, initializing,
and running all sorts of java stuff, but none of them are from e: (they're
all from d:/lotus/domino/jvm...)

The JVM is version 1.4.2

I continue to get 404 page not found.

Ideas?