Really??? I have never seen or even heard of a Windows machine that could
stay up for 6 to 12 months without a restart.

Thanks,
Scott Reece
System Administrator
City of Bend
sreece@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Office - 541-388-4426

"Once you say you're going to settle for second, that's what happens to you
in life. "  --JFK

             rterry@xxxxxxxxxx
             domino400-bounces         Lotus Domino on the iSeries / AS400
             +sreece=ci.bend.o         <domino400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
             r.us@xxxxxxxxxxxx                                          cc

                                                                   Subject
             09/21/2005 02:45          Re: Domino cluster on OS400 and
             PM                        Windows?

             Please respond to
              Lotus Domino on
               the iSeries /
                   AS400
             <domino400@midran
                  ge.com>

every 6 to 12 months

Scott Reece <SReece@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: domino400-bounces+rterry=shopvac.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx
09/21/2005 10:09 AM
Please respond to
Lotus Domino on the iSeries / AS400 <domino400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Lotus Domino on the iSeries / AS400 <domino400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Re: Domino cluster on OS400 and Windows?

Actually that is a great answer for me. I only have 2 DPAR's on our
iSeries
currently so I will only need 2 Intel server Blades for our SAN (both 2
CPU). I have only ever ran Domino on the iSeries so this is going to be
something new for me. What is the restart period suggested for Windows
servers running Domino? Weekly? Daily?

Thanks,
Scott Reece
System Administrator
City of Bend
sreece@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Office - 541-388-4426

"Once you say you're going to settle for second, that's what happens to
you
in life. "  --JFK

             Walter Scanlan
             <wscanlan@xxxxxxx

             Sent by:                  Lotus Domino on the iSeries / AS400

             domino400-bounces         <domino400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
             +sreece=ci.bend.o                                          cc

             r.us@xxxxxxxxxxxx         domino400-bounces+wscanlan=us.ibm.c

                                       om@xxxxxxxxxxxx, Lotus Domino on
                                       the iSeries / AS400
             09/20/2005 02:38          <domino400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
             PM                                                    Subject

                                       Re: Domino cluster on OS400 and
                                       Windows?
             Please respond to
              Lotus Domino on
               the iSeries /
                   AS400
             <domino400@midran
                  ge.com>

Scott,
        Not a good answer here.

The hardware requirement will be driven by workload. So on iSeries the WLE
can be used to define the required hardware, No such tool exists for intel
servers.
I use this rule of thumb.  (SWAG)

1 windows server for each DPAR on iSeries  (so this may be a one to many
cluster)
If you are running current iSeries hardware (i520,i550etc) 3 Intel CPUs
for each iSeries CPU should work ok.

Example.

An i520(2-way) with 4 DPAR, (Mail1, Mail2 , Apps1 HUB1) would be clustered
to 4 intel systems

Mail1a  2 cpu

Mail2a 2 cpu

Apps2a 1 cpu

Hub1a  1 cpu

I generally just run 2 GB of ram on intel servers.

Workloads vary and Mail1&2 might drive 80% of the load in which case they
may need more CPU

NONE of this should be taken as sizing recommendations.

Walter Scanlan
Senior Software Engineer
Domino & Workplace for iSeries
507-286-6088
wscanlan@xxxxxxxxxx

Scott Reece <SReece@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: domino400-bounces+wscanlan=us.ibm.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx
09/20/2005 04:10 PM
Please respond to
Lotus Domino on the iSeries / AS400

Lotus Domino on the iSeries / AS400 <domino400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Re: Domino cluster on OS400 and Windows?

Thanks Walter,

That is exactly what I needed to hear, is there a technote somewhere that
will shed some light on what the hardware should be on the Windows machine
compared to our iSeries?

Thanks,
Scott Reece
System Administrator
City of Bend
sreece@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Office - 541-388-4426

"Once you say you're going to settle for second, that's what happens to
you
in life. "  --JFK

             Walter Scanlan
             <wscanlan@xxxxxxx

             Sent by:                  Lotus Domino on the iSeries / AS400

             domino400-bounces         <domino400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
             +sreece=ci.bend.o                                          cc

             r.us@xxxxxxxxxxxx         domino400-bounces+wscanlan=us.ibm.c

                                       om@xxxxxxxxxxxx, Lotus Domino on
                                       the iSeries / AS400
             09/20/2005 02:07          <domino400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
             PM                                                    Subject

                                       Re: Domino cluster on OS400 and
                                       Windows?
             Please respond to
              Lotus Domino on
               the iSeries /
                   AS400
             <domino400@midran
                  ge.com>

There are no problems running clusters between platforms.

If you are setting up for failover or load balancing make sure you have
the hardware to support the load.

Walter Scanlan
Senior Software Engineer
Domino & Workplace for iSeries
507-286-6088
wscanlan@xxxxxxxxxx

Scott Reece <SReece@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: domino400-bounces+wscanlan=us.ibm.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx
09/20/2005 04:03 PM
Please respond to
Lotus Domino on the iSeries / AS400

Lotus Domino on the iSeries / AS400 <domino400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Domino cluster on OS400 and Windows?

Does anyone run a Domino clustered environment on both iSeries OS400 and
Windows? Any input on this would be great. Yes I know that OS400 is by far
the best platform to run Domino on, but as a backup is it OK to have a
windows machine clustered with an iSeries machine? Problems, warning
etc.... please let me know.