We are running a cluster with 2 Domino servers on 2 separate AS/400s.  One
Domino server is our 'main' server and is used for mail and a few apps.
The other Domino server is our 'backup' server and is left as restricted to
the users unless we are switched to it on a monthly test, etc.  All mail
and application databases are replicated in the cluster.  Configuration
changes for the servers are VERY rare.

Our current backup strategy is:

-Both AS/400s are saved with an Option 21 full system backup once per month

-The main Domino server is shut down each night and saved with a SAV
command against the entire IFS (we check the results and are only missing
some Websphere logs, etc.  In other words, Domino is getting saved fully).

-The backup Domino server runs continually and is not backed up on a daily
basis.

Now that we're up and running well on this cluster and switchovers are
working well, I want to verify that this scenario should work well enough.
We are very comfortable with being able to restore the main Domino server
from the nightly backup.  We are thinking that we would restore the backup
Domino server from the monthly Option 21 and let the cluster get things
repopulated in the backup Domino server's databases.

Is this a valid strategy?

Scanned by IBM Email Security Management Services powered by MessageLabs. For
more information please visit http://www.ers.ibm.com