I am trying to move an archived Notes database to CD so that is can be
deleted from the Client PC and still be viewed on the CD from within the
Lotus Notes Client. I am having trouble reading the database  from within
notes as It appears it is trying to write to the database as it opens it. I
have found some solutions on how to get around this ( building an index,
renaming it, unchecking the read only flag,etc.) and I am still having
problems. I was wondering if anyone else has had any luck with this. Here
is one document I found on how to do this:

1. Select the database and choose Design - Views and make sure that all
views are unhidden (i.e. do not have parentheses around their names). It is
important to temporarily unhide the hidden views so that the view indexes
for these views can be created (see Step 2 below).

2. Open the database and press CTRL+SHIFT+F9. This key combination will
rebuild all of the views in the database. This includes both open and
hidden views, as well as server-based or local databases. It is important
to build the view indexes before copying the database to the CD or other
read-only media as, if they are not created and stored in the NSF file
prior to adding it
to the read-only media, Notes will attempt to create them and will not be
able to because it cannot write to the media.

Note: If a view is not built, pressing CTRL+SHIFT+F9 will cause Notes to
build the view. If the view is already built, pressing CTRL+SHIFT+F9 will
cause Notes to update the view, not rebuild it.

3. Create the full-text index for the database if you intend for the
database to be queried using Notes' full-text indexing capabilities. You
can do this using the File - Full Text Search - Create Index command. This
index must be created prior to putting the database on the read-only media
for the same reason described for view indexes in Step 2 above.

Note: Most CD mounting software conforms to the ISO 9660 standard which
does not allow for periods in directory names. When creating full-text
indexes in Notes, it by default creates a directory with the extension .FT
(period - FT) which is against the ISO 9660 regulations. For example, if
your database is called DATABASE.NSF, then Notes will create a subdirectory
called \DATABASE.FT underneath the directory which contains the file
DATABASE.NSF.

To workaround this issue, do the following

a. Create another directory which has the same name as the database, but
with no extension (i.e. \DATABASE instead of DATABASE.FT). This new
directory name must be the same as the database name.

b. Copy all of the files created for the full-text index from the original
directory into the new directory.

c. Delete the full-text index files from the old directory name (the name
with the .FT extension) and remove the directory from the system.

Notes will now see the new directory and use the full-text index files
inside of it. It does not require the .FT extension to be on the directory
name. The .FT is only used as a naming convention when creating the
directory for full-text indexes so that those directory names wouldn't show
up along with the other directory names in the File - Open Database dialog
box.

4. Do an operating system level copy (such as using the DOS or OS/2 COPY
command) of the .NSF file from the writeable media which you are currently
using onto the media which will be used to press the CD or other read-only
media. Be sure that you do an operating system level copy during this step
and not a File - Database - Copy from within Notes as using Notes to copy
the
database will remove the view indexes.

Thanks

Mike