I don't know, Robert.  I've had nothing but joy with the iSeries here.
There's no way I could have taken an eight-day vacation with no concerns if
my Domino was running on a M$ platform -- I don't have a backup admin.

Patrick

             Robert E Terry
             <rterry@xxxxxxxxx
             Sent by:                  Lotus Domino on the iSeries / AS400
             domino400-bounces         <domino400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
             @midrange.com                                              cc

                                                                   Subject
             10/03/2004 09:33          Re: Sametime
             AM

             Please respond to
              Lotus Domino on
               the iSeries /
                   AS400
             <domino400@midran
                  ge.com>

Just catching up on e-mail and thought I would
through my 2 cents in...

I run Domino on a 400 and a windows box.  I built a
second domino on the Windows box (I guess my config
is unsupported) that is independent of my mail server
and dropped Sametime on it. My Domino/Sametime
server is in the same Domino Domain. We don't use LDAP.
I would like to, but we are a small shop and have never
taken the time to learn how to set it up.

Anyway, Sametime works OK.  Most users do not use it.
I use it the most for support via the sametime meetings.
That is truly the god send the application has been for
me.  As I expose Sametime to the Internet, it is just so frigen
great to be able to call a vendor and have them come in
and see my screen and help me resolve problems.  For
the IM part, there were only a couple of people (that I am
aware of) the got pissed when I started blocking AOL IM some
time ago. They now use ST and like it fine. We just don't
have the whole IM culture.

I now will rattle the cage a bit.  Domino on the 400 has been
problematic at best. I would not recommend putting Domino
on the platform. Sametime, no frigen way.   That said, I am
not a window$ bigot or even someone who likes NT.  But my
experience says that Win2K server is an awesome platform for
running Domino. Rock solid

As I am now in the process of replacing WinNT 4  with IBM iSeries
running Linux, and plan on moving Domino there.

Bob Terry

Robert Laing <rlaing@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: domino400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
10/01/2004 10:39 AM
Please respond to
Lotus Domino on the iSeries / AS400 <domino400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Lotus Domino on the iSeries / AS400 <domino400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Re: Sametime

We went the option 2 route and has worked well so far in a small
environment.

We use the IM part of Sametime extensively, the Meeting part infrequently
although when we have used the remote screen capture capability it has
saved us much time/effort in remote troubleshooting.

Gotchas ???   Make sure LDAP is running OK before setting up Sametime.  If

accessing remotely, numerous firewall ports that need to be opened.

Bob

sjones@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent by: domino400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
10/01/2004 10:30 AM
Please respond to
Lotus Domino on the iSeries / AS400 <domino400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

domino400@xxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
Sametime

We are exploring the use of Sametime and have a few questions. We
currently
have a Domino server, version 6.5.2 on an I-Series. Which of the three
methods did you use to implement:

? Set up a new Domino server in a new Domino domain (*FIRST), and add
Sametime to that server.
? Add an additional Domino server to an existing Domino domain (*ADD), and
add Sametime to that server.
? Add Sametime to an existing production Domino server.

>From reading the Sametime install guide, option 3 is not a good choice.
Option 2 sounds like what we would explore.  Keeping maintenance to a
minimum is a big factor in our choice.

Any advice for getting Sametime up & running? Any "gotchas" on installing
the product?  Do your users like Samtime or is it not used very often?

Thanks in advance.

Steve Jones