Here is a link to exactly what is talked about.

In short, every time an engine or pattern file is updated, the incremental
scanning is set back to the start.  I still think the setting for
Incremental is good since any day there is not updates, (though rare these
days) only new files are scanned.

http://kb.trendmicro.com/solutions/solutionDetail.asp?solutionID=6042

Thanks,

Dave Guerrero