I hear you.  If IBM and Lotus can't figure out what 400mb of a nsf is, who
can?

Benjamin Franklin

MEovino@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent by: domino400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
11/24/2003 01:59 PM
Please respond to
Lotus Domino on the iSeries / AS400 <domino400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Lotus Domino on the iSeries / AS400 <domino400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Fax to

Subject
Re: IBM Charts it's workplace strategy by Lee Kroon

You're right about NSF's being more than just data, but I personally
welcome the change.  We do have HA software here, and, while Domino
clustering isn't tough, I'd still rather have everything managed in one
place.

Also, I wonder if this will give us easier access to information in Domino
databases.  I'm personally not a big fan of using Domino for apps that
need
any kind of access to the data because it's so tough to get at in an NSF.

Mike E.

                      rob@xxxxxxxxx
                      Sent by:                   To:       Lotus Domino on
the iSeries / AS400 <domino400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
                      domino400-bounces@m        cc:
                      idrange.com                Subject:  Re: IBM Charts
it's workplace strategy by Lee Kroon

                      11/24/2003 01:15 PM
                      Please respond to
                      Lotus Domino on the
                      iSeries / AS400

After I sent this I do realize that there is more to the nsf than the
data.  Such as agents, forms, etc.  I wonder how that relates?

Benjamin Franklin

rob@xxxxxxxxx
Sent by: domino400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
11/24/2003 08:30 AM
Please respond to
Lotus Domino on the iSeries / AS400 <domino400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Lotus Domino on the iSeries / AS400 <domino400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Fax to

Subject
IBM Charts it's workplace strategy by Lee Kroon

What do you think of this article?
http://www.mcpressonline.com/mc/.6ae8498a

Use of DB2 instead of NSF files?  With the blob fields, etc it is
technically possible.  And the mess that DB2 files are in are quite
appalling.  For example I have an incident open in which the docsize of
all the documents is 4MB.  Notespeek shows 300MB used by deletion stubs
and 400MB by Lord knows what.  The incident's been open for awhile and I
haven't had any luck with the Lotus team in figuring out what the 400MB is

eaten up by.  I have dozens of like databases.

I wonder if LEI supports BLOB fields yet?  Last time I checked it didn't.

I wonder how Domino clustering would handle DB2 files?  Instead of
deletion stubs and the like, you suppose they'll use journalling like the
High Availability vendors for DB2 use?

It sure would be nice to have that built in.  For example we have a backup

iSeries for our email, Notes databases, and other Domino based
applications.  However we do not have a hot backup for our DB2 data, like
payroll, ERP, etc.  Why not?  Because of the cost and difficulty of the HA

solutions.  Domino clustering was so easy to set up.  The only bugaboo in
Domino clustering is you have to copy the databases over there in the
first place.  (That's why we purchased the Akornn software.)

Benjamin Franklin