I think that what's happening with the first message is that you're trying
to access a 'secured' database via the browser.  You've likely not given
Anonymous access to the nsimpson.nsf (or disallowed it), and/or set
-Default- to 'No Access'.  The nature of the web is that connections are
anonymous.  Since you've set the ACL in your database to either (or both)
not allow Anonymous or -Default-, you're being challenged.  This message
will happen with any database that you've restricted Anonymous and
-Default- access.

Tom Hightower
Solutions, Inc
http://www.simas.com