  • Subject: Re: Domino Server Monitoring
  • From: rob@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 11:19:26 -0500

We have two notes databases with the necessary programming.  One runs on a
Domino partition on one 400.  The other runs in a different Domino
partition on a different 400.  Together they check that all the Domino
partitions are communicating.  If a partition is down, at a time when it
should be up, then an email is sent to certain addresses.  Some of these
addresses are pagers.  Neither the list of servers, their up times, nor the
list of whom to notify, are hard coded.

Uses a function like:
Function ServerIsRunning(server As String) As Variant
     Dim session As New notessession
     Dim db As NotesDatabase
     Dim directory As NotesDbDirectory

     ServerIsRunning=True

     Print "Checking status of server " & server
     Err=0
     On Error Resume Next
     Set directory = New NotesDbDirectory( server)
     On Error Goto 0
     If Err=0 Then
          On Error Resume Next
          Set db = directory.GetFirstDatabase( DATABASE )
          On Error Goto 0
          If Err>0 Then
               Print "Error - Could not get first database name on server "
& server
          End If
     Else
          Print "Error - Could not get directory on server " & server
     End If
     If Err>0 Then
          ServerIsRunning=False
     End If
End Function

Rob Berendt

==================
A smart person learns from their mistakes,
but a wise person learns from OTHER peoples mistakes.

                    mcrump@sgcontainer

                    s.com                     To:     domino400@midrange.com

                    Sent by:                  cc:

                    owner-domino400@mi        Subject:     Domino Server
Monitoring
                    drange.com

                    07/09/2001 10:39

                    AM

                    Please respond to

                    DOMINO400

I am investigating my options for Domino server monitoring.  Any one have
any
thoughts or relevant experience.  I'm going to look at Candle, Legato, and
BMC.
My first thought (numbers from Candle) is that it can be expensive.
Expecially,
since we create Domino servers at the drop of a hat around here :-)

Effectively, I am looking for a way to programmatically check the health of
Domino server.  Any affinity to LEI and the AS/400 would be a preference.
While
some of the other management pieces are pretty nice I am primarily
interested in
the availability of the server more than anything else.....

Michael Crump
Saint-Gobain Containers
1509 S. Macedonia Ave.
Muncie, IN  47302