  • Subject: Re: HTTP & Domino Fighting
  • From: Evan Harris <spanner@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 18:12:28 +1300

Hi Jeff

thanks for taking the time to reply.

             There are a number of way's around your problem depending on
>your configurations, Firewall's, and IP comfort level. I simple fix is to
>have the Domino Guy's use 2580, 2543 as the ports instead of  80 and 443,
>but this means the URL's are going to look a little different
>http://myipaddress.net:2580  for example which is okay is everything is a
>HREF but not great if people are entering the URL manually.  Be sure you
>update the services file as a reference point if you do this..

This seems to be the common answer and is the workaround I suggested to the
team trying to do this. In our scenario where this is really for tow
separate end-to-end test and development environments this is probably fine.

I find it hard to understand how I can supposedly run two domino servers on
different IP addresses yet still have a conflict over the ports. I find it
hard to understand lots of things about Domino actually.....

>             Another way is to have multiple Virtual Private IP address's
>(RFC-1918) on the AS/400 and then use the Firewall to NAT MAP the address
>correctly, in this case you need to be careful of Routes and other things,
>and be sure you add all the Virtual address assignments to the AS/400 host
>file, and any internal DNS support you may be using..

Unfortunately the team doing this are a different organisation.  I sense
this has plenty of potential both for easing the difficulties once it's
running and configured correctly, but also for lots of finger-pointing on
the way there. I can't afford that right now for lots of reasons.

>             Last but not least there is a rumor of a Webshphere HTTP upgrade
>that will allow you to serve Domino from WB/HTTP instead of using the Domino
>engine, but I have not seen the PTF ship for this yet, check the newsgroup
>for an update on this one.

Ah.. the PTF Holy grail or to paraphrase Philip K. Dick  - "I Know if I
just had another PTF I'd be OK"

Thanks again for your suggestions

Cheers
Evan Harris