Robert, to be clear, I have no intention on skipping the quarterly
payments. My primary concern is getting hit if I make those payments based
on non-W2, independent contractor (so, withholding double FICA, ergo, more
than if I were a W2), and the IRS then decides after filing a tax return
that I am, in fact, not an independent contractor. I *presume* that, since
I withheld based on the 15.3% "self-employment" tax vs. the normal employee
7.65% FICA tax, I overpaid the IRS. I think the IRS is more interested in
the company trying to get away with not having to withhold taxes and avoid
paying an employer's share of the FICA.

Based on that thought process, do I understand correctly that the IRS came
after you because you didn't file quarterly payments?

- Dan