Thank you for this information and thank you to all that have responded. I
certainly have appreciated all that you have been willing to share.

Rusty Jackson

-----Original Message-----
From: consult400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:consult400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of rpgman@xxxxxxx
Sent: Monday, January 21, 2008 6:31 PM
To: Consulting on the iSeries / AS400; 'Consulting on the iSeries / AS400'
Cc: Jim Harr
Subject: Re: [Consult400] Contract For Standard Contract Programming

Just make sure that it is specific to 'time and materials only'. You are
providing your time and possibly some of your own materials. You are not
guaranteeing anything else, just the time and materials. State nothing
regarding work quantity, work quality, or volume of output. Just the number
of hours per week and payment by the hour, NOT BY THE WORKDAY. I know a lot
of contractors who got paid a daily rate when I was sitting next to them
getting paid for every one of the 10-14 hours we worked every day. $60.00
per hour is much better than $500.00 per day. $840.00 was always much
better than $500.00.

Inflate the rate on the contract by $8.00-$12.00 per hour offering a
discount of same if payment is RECEIVED within 10 days of invoice date (some
companies refuse contracts with penalties and fall months behind on payments
because of that--ask me how I learned that fact--also avoids worry about
legalities on penalty rates). Invoice every one or two weeks, not once per
month. Specify that any portion of time less than an hour is billed rounded
up to the nearest half hour. Keep me 5 or 10 minutes over and it costs you
30 minutes. Really controls the BS time that some companies try to edge out
of you each day. Fix a normal work week at 40 hours with excess being
billed at the same rate as the first 40. After you learn about the
customer, you can be flexible on the 30 minute thing. Just don't let them
expect any free time from you.

Get a clause in there for on-call pay. Some companies expect you to be
on-call for free. If not clarified up front, you are up a creek. I have
actually got paid $5.00 per on-call hour from Friday 5:01 PM till 8:00 AM on
Monday morning. Because it was in my contract. This yields an extra
$315.00 per on-call weekend. Better than nothing!!!!! Getting called in
for off hours was billed at regular rate from the time I left my home till I
returned home without any extra stops along the way plus mileage rate.

Make sure that you clarify extra travel expense re-imbursement including per
diem and overnight expense guidelines. If you have to travel between three
plants that are 8 miles apart each day you can rack up an extra 40+ miles
per day on your vehicle.

Also, I was always sure to work a few extra hours per week without billing,
but tracking it religiously and noting who was there to witness the time.
When questions arise and a customer gets fussy about an hour here, or,
there, agree not to bill for the time if they agree to pay for all the time
that you worked, but forgot to bill for. That settles things quickly.
Especially true for goverment agencies and municipalities and punch-clock
environments.

You can get burnt bad if you are not cautious. Hope this helps.

RPGMAN.

-------------- Original message from "Jim Harr" <jim.harr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

That's why I prefer a 'Letter of Agreement'
Very simple language stating:

- I will do a professional job.
- And you will pay me the agreed amount with the agreed terms.

Jim Harr
Premier Solutions Group, Inc.
www.psginc.net
405-359-8815