I have a range that I work in.  Factors include duration of the project,
hours per week, amount of travel and incidental expenses, and the "fun"
factor (I charge less for jobs that look like they'll be challenging, fun,
and teach me something).  I've found there is no way to bill 40 hours in a
40 hour week even on a long-term project, so I typically think of a week as
being 30 hours.  I divide my expected annual revenue by 35 weeks, then that
weekly target by 30 hours to get a base hourly rate that I need.  The
factors adjust that up and down.  I use 35 weeks because I don't want panic
to set in if I am without a full-time project for a few weeks.

The example you've shown is an example that might be wonderful for you.  Set
the high-end rate and do the week's work.  See how you like it.   Chances
are pretty good it will end up at 2 or 3 weeks if you folks like each other.
 After that is done and you've billed them and been paid, you could stop
back and say "If you can promise me a few projects to keep me busy when I am
slow, but give me flexibility to chase the big-bucks projects with other
clients, I can give you a rate that is a lot less, but lets me make a living
"  This might have great appeal to them, and gives you a stable bottom line
of work for when times get tough, and they will get tough.

Booth Martin   http://www.MartinVT.com
Booth@MartinVT.com