You are fortunate.  There are a few shops I would not use, in fact it
embarrasses me to admit I ever was there.
But for a learning curve I am finding there are many people prepared for
change and growth but they are limited in budget and want to be brought
along slowly anyway.  Too many of these people have been burned a few
times by the newest and greatest.  Their attitude is that after the Next
New Thing has been around for a year at least they will consider looking
at it. After two years they will evaluate it. Adoption can be 4 or 5 years
out.   This works well for me too because I am not bright enough to bounce
from new thing to new thing as rapidly as most programmers.  The gradual
curve is really good for me.

I'd add this.  As a marketing tool I find that active involvement in the
local user group is welcomed by the user group and is very enjoyable for
me.  It provides a learning environment I can respond to.   I've never had
a direct contract from user group involvement, but I do know that it has
allowed my name to be out there and I am not a stranger when I walk into
most AS/400 shops in the area.

Booth Martin
Booth@MartinVT.com
http://www.MartinVT.com