Hi Kelly,

I've been an RPG/Free-Format programmer for more than 20 years, and I've worked with COBOL here & there in that time. I'm currently a COBOL programmer, and I'm honing my COBOL skills.

I'm not familiar with developing REST APIs in general, but I have done some API development with RPG & SQL.

First, you can totally embed SQL in COBOL. I do it every day. The syntax is similar to that in RPG. I have an example below. I don't know if this is much use, but I did want to answer as much of your question as I can.

?* Set up for BASETBL retrieval
MOVE "N" TO DONE-FLAG.
MOVE "N" TO PRT-FLAG.
MOVE "0010-GET-BASETBL" TO PGMERR-PARA1.
MOVE "BASETBL" TO PGMERR-FILE.
MOVE 0 TO SQLCODE.

EXEC SQL
SELECT BTDRMO,