It works without the TRIM too.

On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 7:00 PM, Jon Paris <jon.paris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I thought originally that it might be because the COBOL version was seeing
blanks at the back end of the URL.

Unless the pre-comp is doing something special it will not see you "fake"
URL-STRING variable as a VarChar (no such thing in COBOL) and will treat
the whole thing as one big character variable. There's no way that should
work as the length will be at the front of the string.

Just for fun I tried changing the RPG version to use a fixed length field
for the URL and it works just fine. The fixed length field (including
trailing spaces) is placed in the SQLnnn varcher variable. No trimming, no
adding a null character to terminate the string, just straight assignment.
That indicates to me that the COBOL should be able to use a simple
character variable. But studying the pre-compiler output would be helpful
in seeing what is going on under the covers.

In your working version you did trim the URL. Does it work if you omit the
trim? It doesn't seem to matter in RPG but the COBOL pre-comp may be subtly
different.

If it does _not_ work without the trim then can you use Reference
Modification on the host variable to limit its length as trim would?

Only other possibility I can think of is that adding a hex x'00' at the
end of the valid part of the URL might work - depends on what the
underlying Java functions are expecting.

Jon Paris

www.partner400.com
www.SystemiDeveloper.com

On Feb 12, 2018, at 11:23 AM, Roman Miklos <rmiklos.work@xxxxxxxxx>