On Wed, 18 Jan 2017 20:54:59 +0000, you wrote:

The only reason I wanted to do this is because the DISPLAY command seems to
significantly slow down the execution of a large batch run.
I will resolve by conditioning the DISPLAY statements (IF...END-IF) to not
execute during a prod run, that will be doable. But there are 100+ of them
for whatever reason???

What about conditioning all those DISPLAY statements with a D in column 7 so
that they get executed only when in COBOL debug mode (see STRCBLDBG)?

It should be easier to do, maybe even automatically with a small program
that reads the source and adds a D in column 7 whenever it encounters a
DISPLAY statement (provided it is the only statement in the line), and a D
in that column does not add all the clutter an IF...END-IF pair would do.

HTH,
G.