On 11/2/13 9:02 AM, Paul Raulerson wrote:
I was updating some COBOL programs and realized that I was still
using old COBOL time and date formats -meaning PIC 9(8) and PIC9(6).

Just for the heck of it, I decided to put some date and timestamp
files in a record and see how difficult they are to use. Turns out,
they are a little more difficult to use in COBOL than in RPG. (grin)

Does anyone have some samples or a reply basic tutorial on using
Dates and TimeStamps in COBOL? What is the best way to use them? In
particular, when some of these records are updated, there are date
fields in the record itself, and a LAST_CHG_TS field.

I have gotten spoiled with RPG, especially the duration SUBDUR
opcode. I am sure I have done this before in ILE COBOL, but honestly,
I have forgotten how.

Anyone willing to share examples of or a basic tutorial for ILE COBOL
using date and timestamp fields?

First issue I recall in my first attempt to use a COPY DDS-ALL-FORMATS OF DATES_FILE was a need to prevent the loss of the database file DATE fields [when compiling CBLLE source], to unnamed FILLER fields IIRC, by compiling with the more desirable conversion options:
CVTOPT(*DATETIME *DATE *TIME *TIMESTAMP)

IIRC those are automatically the defaults for SQLCBLLE sources; i.e. the pre-compiler CRTSQLCBLI [or CRTSQLCBLI] invokes the CRTBNDCBL [or CRTCBLMOD] with those elements specified for the Conversion Options (CVTOPT) parameter.

The following archived message might be helpful as a /basic tutorial/ showing use of current-date, formatting, date components, and Durations:

http://archive.midrange.com/cobol400-l/200001/msg00037.html