Thanks so much - I will give it a try!

-----Original Message-----
From: cobol400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:cobol400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jon Paris
Sent: Friday, March 01, 2013 11:08 AM
To: COBOL Programming on the IBM i (AS/400 and iSeries)
Subject: Re: [COBOL400-L] how to reference a string AFTER a specific field name

Yes you can.

I personally wouldn't copy this into multiple different programs but I don't know exactly how this will be used so ...

I would tend to do it this way - or something like it.

Call the file specific program and have it pass three parms. Before image record layout, after image layout, and length of that record to the journal reader.

Have the reader compare the before and after images using reference modification based on the length. Have it return only when there is a mis-match. At least I assume that is where you're going with this.

This means that you only have to recompile a program when the file(s) it handles change. And you never have to do anything with the journal reader unless IBM changes the layout - which is possible but unlikely.